By now, most people are familiar with the coronavirus disease outbreak. There are lots of stories out there — some true and some false.
Here’s what we DO know:
- The disease was first identified in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China sometime in December of 2019
- On February 11, 2020, the World Health Organization named the disease coronavirus disease 2019 (abbreviated “COVID-19”)
- This is a rapidly evolving situation
- The virus is thought to spread mainly from close person-to-person contact (within six feet)
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), your risk is dependent on exposure
Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure*:
- Shortness of breath
Call Bear Pond Family Medicine and Pediatrics at 860 744-2244 if you are experiencing these symptoms, or have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
PLEASE NOTE: PCR COVID testing is available for current Bear Pond patients. We do not offer the COVID vaccine but you can go to your local pharmacy or click this link to find a location near you https://www.vaccines.gov/search/
In fact, in the United States there are significantly more hospitalizations and deaths from flu this year.**
So, What About the Flu?
The CDC reports high flu activity and it is expected to continue for a few more weeks. Of two types of flu strain — Influenza A and Influenza B — B strain viruses are the most commonly reported influenza viruses among children and young adults.
How to limit the spread of viral illness
One of the best — and simplest — ways to stop the spread of any airborne illness, such as the common cold and the flu, is:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Cover your cough with a tissue, then throw away the tissue and wash your hands
- Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects you touch, especially out in public
- Practice social distancing by keeping six feet away from others
- Wearing a mask will NOT help you if have a cough or cold; but it WILL help you prevent spreading of your sickness to others
If you are experiencing flu-like symptoms such as fever, chills, body aches, cough, headache, and fatigue, please contact Bear Pond Family Medicine & Pediatrics or call us 860 744-2244 to be assessed and schedule an appointment.
* CDC coronavirus in the United States. Visit the CDC website for the latest US map and up-to-date information.